Saturday 16 February 2013

Midway...

Midway Trailer


Wow... this is just a trailer for a film called "Midway", about a little island in the Pacific, 2000 miles from any continent. No houses here, just birds.

And plastic. LOTS of plastic.

I've said for years that our dependance on plastic is going to be the end of us ... someday.
Maybe not this minute, or this week or this year, not even this decade, and probably not this century. But there will be a minute some random day in the future that might be it. It won't necessarily be something that happens in our lifetimes, but definitely will happen in the lifetime of our descendants, maybe the great-great-great-great-grandchildren of our great-great-great-grandchildren.

I'm guilty of having plastic, buying plastic things... but I'm VERY aware these days that it just isn't about recycling the stuff -- the manufacture of plastics releases toxic fumes, uses all kinds of chemicals and requires a LOT of energy to produce. So I stopped buying those little plastic toys for Emma when she was younger, and I don't buy little plastic things for myself as much as possible.
But, man oh man, thinking about all the "normal" things in use every day in my house, from shampoo to mascara to dishsoap, laundry liquids, even "enviro-friendly" cleaners, all the foods that come in plastic, parts of my vehicle that are plastic, lunchboxes, coffeecups, appliances, hair clips, pet food... oy.

The list is endless.

It's everywhere.

I'm having a difficult time thinking of anything that *isn't* plastic!

I do recycle all plastic, including beverage bottle caps, but I am going to pledge to reduce my household's dependancy on plastic things as much as possible.

Tell me what you think about plastic, this film trailer, and ideas to reduce plastic --  I'd LOVE to hear it.

*Small disclaimer -- I'm not familiar with how to embed video-- it was juuuust starting to be done when I used to blog and I had so much else going oon I never really learned how to do it -- anyone know? I'd appreciate any tips!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I missed this post initially! I looked and found this "help" article for embedding video on your blog: http://support.google.com/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=67428

    I've never tried it here on Blogger myself.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete